A Match Made in Heaven

I'm not a huge fan of celebrities. It's not a big secret.
Personally I find it unfathomable that someone would: expect to get out of jail early because "prison made them sad" or demand a million dollars for one day's work, or get plastered and march up and down the street shouting vile things and expect America and the rest of the world to forgive them because they're so darned pretty.

That's not the worst of it, either.

So... :-) When I heard on the news that Kevin Costner had somehow come up with a device to remedy an oil spill, I was dubious. Actually, I laughed and forgot all about it. I don't have anything against him personally, even after Water World, but as far as I knew the only positive thing any celebrity had done was to go on TV and ask with big, sad eyes for the rest of us to contribute to whatever charity they had stamped their name on... you know, the one they could completely fix if they'd just sell one of their houses.

But Costner wouldn't be ignored, would he?

I heard it again, he was serious, you know, and I got to thinking. It seems he owns a company that employs scientists who may have solved this pesky oil spill problem.
Then I thought...well I'll be danged. And...wait! I have an idea.

You see, we have the intellect and the means to solve just about any of our societal problems.(Ive read that somewhere) Cultural, environmental, physical, technological, you name it--we can beat it. But the scientific community lacks two important things to get that job done.

Money and Popular Opinion.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hey! What are the two things celebrities have obscene amounts of?
Eureka.

I'd like to propose that we initiate my new plan: The Celebrity/Scientist Buddy System.

I'm not kidding. Of course, there are more scientists than celebs, so they'll each get a team. Set em up, fund their research, keep them happy...and when they invent something brilliant, slap your fancy celeb name on it and promo the crap out of it. You can do it. You've done it before, but this time, it'll count big.

Think of it. J. Lo hover cars. The P. Diddy nuclear rocket engine (we'd be on Mars in a year, huh?) The that-guy-who-plays-the-sparkly-vampire solar panels? Every home in America would be solar powered. At the very least, every home with a housewife who likes YA fiction.

The brilliance of this plan amazes even me--and I thought of it. :-)

So now I'm rooting for Kevin Costner big time. Even though I rooted for the sherrif in Robin Hood--come on, it was Alan Rickman for heaven's sake. I hope the device works and he comes out smelling like a rose. I do. And if it does, and if his company keeps their scientist happy and inventing away, by God, I'll take back every bad thing I ever uttered about Water World.

Go, go gadget!
~Frances